There's no shame to it! Sometime's our houses can smell off even though we're performing our regular cleaning. Other things can come into the picture that can activate smells or make them worse. I'm here to offer some tips to help you tackle those questionable smells!
As someone who grew up in the "cleaning" industry, I wanted to share a few secrets that I think everyone can benefit from. You may be familiar with a few of them!
Let's dive right in!
1. Turn Your Bathroom Into A Spa
Some of you may even already be doing this! If not, you're in for a treat! Who doesn't love the spa? Everything from the smells, the music, how calm and serene it feels PLUS the service you get when you're there! So why not bring those smells home? For this you'll need the following herbs:
- Lemon balm
Simply bundle all of them up or just your favourites and place them in a dry corner of the shower. The steam from the water will draw out the oils in the herbs and provide a refreshing scent every time you shower!
2. Stinky Shoes
We've all been there...the converse, the sneakers, the flats, the boots...anything that doesn't breath is going to get stinky. It's natural! What's not natural are those smells! LOL! This is an easy fix and I've got two simple solutions!
- Spray deodorant. You can purchase women's or men's spray deodorant (depending on who's shoe you're spraying) at your local drugstore and simply spray into the shoe.
- Baking soda. An item most of us have in our house. If it's not in the fridge, it's probably in the cupboard. Simply pour baking soda in your shoes and leave it in there overnight.
3. Smelly Rug
Brandon and I just cleaned our rug over the weekend. We hadn't cleaned it since we got it a couple years ago...EW! It got smelly from Elsa, drink and food spills, all of our smelly feet (Brandon and Elsa I'm looking at you! LOL!) and there was a build up of so much (sorry) crap! So to solve this issue, we went one route but I am here to provide you with two!
- Steam Cleaner. This is the route we went and the one I recommend. My brother luckily had one and let us borrow it. He also had a deodorizer and stain remover that he let us borrow as well (thanks little man!). A steam cleaner can also be rented from Save On or you could purchase one from your local hardware store or even Amazon.
- Vinegar and Water. Two common ingredients that most of us have in our home. Depending on the area you are cleaning, you want to mix 1 part vinegar to 3 cups of water and spray it on your rug. Although it would be best to steam clean this, you can also take it outside and wash the vinegar mix out with a hose at maximum power.
4. Gross Garbage Can
Sometimes, we need to take care of our garbage can! Food can spill out, liquids can form in the bottom of the bin and mold can even form, very quickly, if you're not attentive. If you're smelling something bad in the kitchen, it's most likely your garbage can. Don't worry there's a simple fix!
- Remove your current trash bag (when it's full) and take your garbage bin outside. Rinse it outside with multi-purpose cleaner and then dry it. Re-insert a fresh garbage bag and now you have a fresh bin!
5. Musty Areas
We all have a place in our home that can get musty. Like shoes, drawers or anywhere that is small and not well ventilated. Those areas can get musty! Here's what you do:
- Use dryer sheets. Stick em in all the places that your nose desires. If you have circulation vents in your home, you can put your favourite dryer sheet against it and the smell of the dryer sheet will circulate around your home!
6. Stinky Dishwasher
Okay, hands up if you hate sour dishwasher smell! Even the best of dishwashers need to be cleaned and groomed so it's performing well. I've got two solutions!
- Dishwasher detergent. Yep, it's just a one package deal. Most of them are deodorizers AND they get all the icky stuff out. You can buy these at Walmart. Most grocery stores should carry some sort of dishwasher deodorizer.
- You guessed it! Vinegar. It has so many uses! This is easily a product that is in most people's homes. Simply grab a cup full of white vinegar and leave it on the top tray of your dishwasher. If your dishwasher smells really bad you can pour some more directly in the bottom. Run your dishwasher on it's regular cycle with very hot water and it should remove any smells or bacteria.
7. Melting Pot Fridge Smells
If you have a fridge, you understand the weird smells it goes through. The open food smells that mix together...that shouldn't go together...like cake and gravy. Nobody wants that! So I've put two solutions together that can easily be done by literally almost anyone.
- Box of baking soda! It's super easy! All you have to do is go to the grocery store, perhaps the baking or cleaning section and grab a box of baking soda and put it in your fridge! Smells will disappear almost instantly!
- Coffee grounds. How many of you have heard this trick before!? For this, you will need to grind up coffee beans. But you can't use them to make coffee sadly ;) These need to be dry in order for it to work! They also need to sit in a fabric that is breathable and with no holes. I would suggest a nylon sock if you have one or a light coffee filter or something similar. When the coffee is contained, simply put it in your fridge!
8. Citrus Heaven
Is there ever a reason to bypass making your home smell even better? If you love citrus, fall, pumpkin pie, thanksgiving dinner and Christmas then keep reading! The best trick to filling your whole house smelling like you just baked cookies or are preparing a scrumptious Thanksgiving meal is boiling your ingredients. And I've got a few scents up my sleeve that I know you'll love:
- Orange peels. Don't throw them away! Dry them overnight and add them to a boiling pot of water. Then add these for a variety of different smells:
- Cinnamon sticks
- Whole ginger
- All spice
When you have all your preferred ingredients, add them to a boiling pot of water (enough to cover everything) and then close with a lid and turn the temperature down to simmer.
9. Get Some Plants
The most colourful way to purify and clean the air in your house, are with plants. But not just any plants! There are specific plants for decoration and ones that assist in keeping the quality of air in your home, clean. Here are some examples:
- Snake plant
- English ivy
- Lady palms
- Arabian jasmine
10. Clean the Microwave
The outside probably gets wiped down more than the inside, am I right? Luckily, I have a solution that isn't going to have you scrubbing day and night to get those leftovers off the walls:
- Grab your sponge and fill it with soap and water. Put it in your microwave for 5 minutes and the steam off the sponge will loosen up any gunk. *Let the sponge cool before touching*, then wipe down your microwave for an easy clean!
There you have it! I hope some of these tips and tricks will help make your house smelling better than it was before!
What tip or trick was already on your list? Let me know in the comments!